Sunday, May 2, 2010

Peer Response to Chang's Blog

In Chang's Blog, he discussed the differences between fake shrimp and artificial shrimp; which is a mixture between cod and real shrimp.

Personally, I have never even considered the fact that shrimp are artificially made. Much like many other types of food that are modified to be able to be preserved longer or cheaper for the consumer, these artificial shrimp also contain chemicals and preservatives that, over time, can be very harmful to the consumer.

The article that Chang reviewed stated that the huge amount of artificial food is becoming a leading cause obesity in America. I do agree with this article because I think that the reason the rate of obesity is rising is because Americans have turned to a steady diet of artificial food. I do believe that it is very hard, if not impossible, to completely avoid foods with preservatives, or some artificial ingredients in today's society. I think that as Americans we should attempt to reduce our intake of these foods and eat them only on special occasions instead of on a daily basis.

As for the shrimp, I still think that they are delicious and I agree with Chang when he says that he can't taste the difference. Because I don't eat shrimp on a daily basis, I don't have a problem with eating artificial ones once in a while. The battle against artificial foods is only a matter of moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment