Sunday, March 7, 2010

Peer Response to "LSC Blog"


In my first peer response, I reviewed a blog posting on "Real Food vs. Fake Food" written by one of my classmates. In this blog, the food of choice was chicken noodle soup. Dominique compared the classic taste of homemade chicken noodle soup to the canned convenient form that we find so often today. This was one of those foods that I hadn't even thought of as being "fake" because it is the form that I grew up with. I thought that Dominique did a nice job of listing some benefits as well as drawbacks to consuming only the canned version. The additive MSG has been proven to cause weight gain and even though it's primary purpose is to enhance the flavor of the food, it is much less healthy than the real version.

The article attached to the post also did a nice job of reinforcing the notion that MSG is a poor choice of a food additive, even though is is a popular flavor enhancer. It was an article that came from a credible source and the information inside was pertinent to the article.

I personally agree with Dominique in that there are so many foods that are artificial now. Sometimes it is even hard to remember what the "real" version of the food tasted like. The side-effects of the MSG is also another reason that modified foods are not always the healthiest choice. Ultimately, the purpose of Pollan's article was just to make readers think in a different way. I believe he was effective in doing so because now I can think of dozens of different foods that have changed altogether. And I don't know about you, but I think I could go for some homemade chicken noodle soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment